Monday, March 14, 2011

Bag o' Neckties

As I was going through the Rocket Man's drawers, cleaning out t-shirts, shorts, and whatnot he suggested that I go through his neckties and pare them down. He wears ties to his Rocket Office to do his Rocket Work daily, so he had an abundance of ties on the rack.

While I almost always pick out his tie for him {in fact, I have taken over the whole responsibility of laying out his clothes for him daily...keeping in mind that he is a color blind engineer} he puts them up at the end of the day. A difficult task as the rack was full to overflowing.

I happily took al the ties off the rack and sorted them by color. Then I checked each tie for stains, frayed ends and picked fabric. After I had tossed several because they didn't pass muster, there were still too many.

I sorted again and found that there were several ties that were almost identical. Not quite, but the color and design were mighty close. Obviously, I liked something I saw. And if I'm going to be honest, there were 2 ties that were identical. I must have bought the second one after the first, not remembering that he already had that particular tie. Ooops!My second gleaning left me with 20 excess neckties and a rack full of ties to keep. I examined the 20 again and found a half dozen that I honestly believe have never been tied around his neck.

The 14 worn ties are in a bag to go to the Youth Rummage Sale at church. The half dozen, never worn ties are in a gift bag to be given to a friend who will be thrilled to get such a gift.

What fun! I made the tie rack more accessible and will enjoy that I'm not picking up ties off the floor because they have fallen off. The ties are sorted and neatly hung in color groups {he's an engineer...I'm a bit compulsive}. And at the end of the day, I have a gift to give a friend.

In the past few years, I have come to truly know the joy of giving. Oh, I've always enjoyed the hunt for the perfect gift, the wrapping of said gift and the satisfaction of having my gift received by someone who was grateful. But there were times when I thought about what I might have gotten for me or mine with the funds that purchased the gift. Not that I really begrudged the gift, but there was a lingering thought of self.

I've learned that from my Rocket Man, who is as generous a man as I have ever known. He never gives anything with the thought of what he will receive in return.  He gives in full confidence that it is the right thing to do.  He is able to give because he has worked hard and can enjoy the fruit of his labor.  Under his care and by his example, I have learned to give without fear of going without.  I know that my needs are met.  I am safe.  He takes care of me. 

More than that, we are living in obedience to God with our resources.  It is satisfying.  It is safe.

And we are blessed beyond belief because of it. 

~Mollianne



No comments:

Post a Comment